Tenant - Emergency Repairs

The below information is an extract from the Residential Tenancy Authority: https://www.rta.qld.gov.au/during-a-tenancy/maintenance-and-repairs/who-is-responsible-for-repairs

Emergency repairs

The tenant should contact the property manager/owner or the nominated repairer (listed on the tenancy agreement) about the problem. It is a good idea to put the request in writing as evidence of notification.

If they cannot be contacted, the tenant can arrange for a qualified person to carry out emergency repairs to a maximum value of 2 weeks rent.

Emergency repairs are:

  • a burst water service or a serious water service leak
  • a blocked or broken toilet
  • a serious roof leak
  • a gas leak
  • a dangerous electrical fault
  • flooding or serious flood damage
  • serious storm, fire or impact damage
  • a failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply
  • a failure or breakdown of an essential service or appliance on the property for hot water, cooking or heating
  • a fault or damage that makes the property unsafe or insecure
  • a fault or damage likely to injure a person, damage property or unduly inconvenience a tenant
  • a serious fault in a staircase, lift or other common area of the property that unduly inconveniences a tenant in gaining access to, or using, the property.

All other repairs are considered routine repairs.


Our preferred trades are listed below:


ELECTRICALIf you have lost power or are experiencing electricity supply problems. Please contact Energex on 13 62 62 (24/7)

New Connect Electrical: 0414 833 460

Oceanside Plumbing & Electrical: 1300 133 509



Moriarity Plumbing & Gas: 0468 997 690

Oceanside Plumbing & Electrical: 1300 133 509


Water & sewerage enquiries - City of Gold Coast

No water? Find out if there are any planned or unplanned water outages in your area – check the latest Water and sewerage alerts

Phone: 1300 000 928 or 07 5667 5801.



State Emergency Service: 1300 133 509

The State Emergency Service provides temporary emergency assistance to help people protect themselves and their property from further damage in circumstances such as:

  • damaged walls, windows or roofs
  • trees down blocking access
  • rising flood water
  • any storm damage that may be a threat to life or property.